Wednesday, January 29, 2014

how to plan an african safari

dear friends,
oh my goodness. thank you for liking my shawl. thank you for the kindest most heartwarming words. thank you for being among the nicest people on the planet. thank you a million times, thank you.


taking a departure from knitting here to share another passion besides wool. this passion includes three other huge loves in my life, photography, the outdoors and travel... most especially

A F R I C A


 is this a passion for you?  do you dream of visiting the African continent? one of the questions chuck and i are asked each time we return from safari is 'how do you plan? which company? where to go? (there are over fifty countries in Africa) when is the best time?  our experience with one company stands out. so much so that our last two trips to Southern Africa were through them. and as soon as the time is (hopefully) right...



 we'll choose again



what i love about most about Africa... (here are a few pics, some are poorly scanned film prints, from a few years ago)...i LOVE the land and the people, the BABIES. i love the big five and the small five and everything in between, and the birds, oh the birds. i love falling asleep to the sound of lion's calling and i love to hear the people singing. i love a g & t or amarula for sundowner's, chuck loves his tusker's (beer). i love the adventure, the endless sky,  i love most the feeling of being fully alive, and when i step on the African soil, the feeling of coming home...
































 SIGH




this is an advertisement by Rhino Africa in the current issue of Travel Africa magazine. it's brilliant! can you see the small plots of African dirt, suspended with ropes and wooden stakes and hot air balloons? lion (sheepishly peering over the edge, poor thing!) and elephants and giraffes!! all floating above New York City! the caption at the bottom reads: it's easier if you come to Africa...








i wrote about Rhino Africa after our trip to Namibia last year (here), we were so pleased with their outstanding service, truly, so friendly so helpful and a wealth of information, they were. and did i say patient? there are many MANY things to consider when planning a safari, questions and communications between you and your agent. our every need and concern was addressed before, and so important, during our trip too. and now look! if you have a moment (and interest) they have used my words and photos describing our fantastic adventure! eeps!!





thank you Rhino Africa Safaris




so to summarize, how to plan an African Safari:
1. watch the video below to begin dreaming
 2. contact Rhino Africa
clicking on the link above will take you there.
:)


 

46 comments:

  1. So beautiful! My husband would love to go. I, on the other hand, am not sure I could do it. Mostly, the snakes, spiders and bugs would get to me, which is difficult to admit because I like to fancy myself as one who could have survived as a prairie woman. :) Just yesterday, I received a beautiful card with local artwork on it from a dear friend living in Kijabe, Kenya. As I've been reading your blog, it instantly made me think of your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you sonja! those little creatures, among the 'small five' can be a part of the adventure (i tell myself ;) although i will NEVER be okay with africa's spiders!!!!) but it really can depend on where and when you go, as to how much you'll 'encounter' :)

      Delete
  2. Gasp and I mean gasp. This is stunning. That photo of you and the elephant made it real for me. Holy good god moley, Lori. The land is do beautiful and your eye and heart nail it just right

    Love your pal
    kj

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes - I'd love to go - and since they have very good wineyards in South Africa, I'm sure I could persuade my husband too :-). We hope to be able to afford it some day.

    Thank you for taking us along! Stunning pictures! As always :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you irene! you would defintely LOVE the wine regions of Stellenbosch and Franschhoek in South Africa.We once flew to Cape Town and drove up sampling wine and stunning views, and staying in an 1876 cape dutch home that was renovated into a hotel.

      Delete
  4. maybe, one day….!
    thank you, xxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is on my wishlist for years
    and now the kids are a bit older
    it will come closer
    so YES i hope
    one day

    thanks for sharing!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lori -- you 're going back again , aren't you?So exciting. You described Africa exactly how I do... the sensation of coming home. I feel at peace in Africa; at home. And I can't wait to go back. It's hard to describe to people just how glorious a continent it is - both geographically and culturally. Africans know know how to create joy in their lives; how to celebrate life. Singing and dancing is a huge part of that, Simply spectacular. What I would say to others is "don't let your fear of the unknown get in the way of experiencing something that will forever leave you changed". Africa leaves its imprint on your soul. Thanks for sharing your amazing captures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;) chuck has been going back for over 25 years (about 20 trips) and i've no idea of how many countries he's seen (some overland trips in the old days, took him through many ;) our next trip will be my fifth, since my first time to be there in 2001. it is a place that gets under your skin, and stays firmly in your soul. we know that it will always be a priority to return. we LOVE it there SO.

      Delete
  7. Lori, I am setting aside some quiet time later this week to return to this post so that I can truly see all that you have given us in this beautiful invitation to take our own adventure.

    Meanwhile, many thanks as always for your generosity. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i do hope you will enjoy frances, watch the video if you have the chance, even in its brevity, it gives a sense of the grandeur that is africa. thank you :)

      Delete
  8. Hey Lori - when are you guys coming back???? :-)
    Here's a fun link to some of my colleagues in Africa too xxx
    Doesn't matter who one books through
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3IyG-j4OdY&feature=c4-overview&list=UUPoNpsOmgsKKriogDXh3CSQ


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. still up in the air, things to figure out (mostly logistics, i will email you, wish you could meet me, if we pull off our tentative plan i will be alone for part of the adventure).

      and Wilderness Safari's is absolutely brilliant, we have stayed at camps through them too. but i think it very much matters who you book through, there are a LOT of outfitters and not all have the reputation WS and Rhino Africa has.

      Delete
  9. your beautiful photos and words tell of the love & passion you hold for this wonderful place on earth ♥
    will come back to this post again ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how beautiful, you are such an amazing photographer!
    I can´t imagine being so close to all the animals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is so thrilling karin-ida, and always feels like such a priviledge, thank you for the kind words!

      Delete
  11. Awe inspiring and gorgeous photographs of your African journeys. I always love hearing your tales of adventure, wherever you may go. We were supposed to go to Tanzania a couple of years ago but it didn't work out. My husband has sent printing machines there for a start-up business but don't really know how that's going. Perhaps one day we will make it to Africa for safari. Thanks for sharing. Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much tammy, i very much enjoy yours too, what a world we live in :)

      Delete
  12. Oh, Lori!!!! I want to go again sooo so badly!!! Hubby is most likely going back in June to work on the water project…they are having some UV issues that need sorted out. I think he's teaming with a medical mission group. If only I had engineering or medical skills!!! (I don't think knitting or photography skills are going to count on this trip!) While I'd love to see more of Africa….I'd be just thrilled to spend more time with our friends in Kenya!!! Happy planning!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's so wonderful that you and your husband were able to go, and to be able to help on such a great project. i hope you can find a way to go back with him!

      Delete
  13. Hey Lori, I'm sending this post to my SIL - she and I and my brother want to go and it'll take her energy to get us organized.
    (will be in SLO in early June..possible meet up somewhere? )
    Mim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think you'll really enjoy the planning mim, and having a great company like rhino africa really does help! we will hopefully be around, text me when you are here! loop and leaf? hee hee

      Delete
  14. Oh yes! Definitely passionate about Africa!!!! I had the privilege to live in Uganda for 2 1/2 years when I was young (12-14 years) and I have not yet been back so it is a BIG life dream to return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what memories you must have heather! i hope you do go back, uganda is on the radar here :)

      Delete
  15. Lovely photography! the elephants! Oh, the elephants! Thanks for sharing~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you very much! yes elephants, so amazing!

      Delete
  16. Lori, So beautiful. There are so many places I want to go, but without the money travel is beyond me. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know, i wish it didn't have to cost so much. i do love to virtual travel too and that is free! thank you annie.

      Delete
  17. Lori, Yes, thank god it is free, it is how I travel and through friends like you :-). xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dearest Lori

    I just wanted to personally write to say thank you so much for this beautiful blog and for taking the time to write about Rhino Africa. I have been following all of your blogs on both Lori Times Five and over at the Rhino Africa Blog. Our writers love you! You are one of the most inspiring travellers I have had the pleasure of working with and I do truly look forward to welcoming you back to Africa again in the future, hopefully. At least a coffee in our offices and Rhino Cafe in Cape Town! Thank you again and please keep blogging about your adventures, journaling and arts and crafts. All of it!

    Kindest
    Dee, Rhino Africa Safaris

    ReplyDelete

xoxo lori